Friday 18 February 2011

Nearly Home

My two months out here is coming to an end, on Tuesday I catch the bus down to Malaga to meet Yvette for a week in El Chorro then fly back to damp England. It’s been a good two months, although there has been rain I am still to miss a day’s climbing because if it. There definitely has been plenty of sun, most of the time we’ve headed swiftly to the shaded crags once warmed up.

Me at Orihuela

As with all trips it’s the people you meet who make it, it would have been a hell of a lot duller without Paul, Dan, Ryan, Scott and Elly. I’ve been taken to some incredible areas and climbed some incredible routes. Paul Thorburn who developed the Pirates of the Caribbean area below Toix T.V gave me a personal introduction to the area and I was able to enjoy some incredible pitches on immaculate rock.

Ryan at Orihuela

Although the climbing and company has been magnificent times here have been pretty frustrating, as someone quite unpleasantly put it to me yesterday, I’m just here to tag along. Every day climbing has generally been to belay someone on their project, or to make up numbers to go to a crag they want to go to. I’ve still not had a bad day’s climbing, but out of two months here I’ve only been to one crag at my behest, and that nearly got cancelled as well. In a way this doesn’t matter, I’ve achieved nearly all my goals, redpointing a few 7c, onsighting 7b+ and hopefully hitting my millage goal with Yvette next week. The only disappointing thing is I never managed to see so many other incredible crags, this region has so much to offer, but I feel I’m leaving having barely touched the surface.

Would I come back? Definitely, there is too much to do here not to come back.

1 comment:

Manfred said...

After having spent 2,5 years in Mallorca I can tell you, there's always much more rock than you can climb. To some venues there I've managed to go only once in those years :) Have a great time in El Chorro!