Tuesday 20 May 2008

Boycott the Olympics

It feels like these last few weeks have gone on for ages. Everything here seems to cost so much, I would be keen to travel around and see bits of England if it wasn’t for the cost of Petrol, the cost of public transport and the cost of getting into museums and galleries. I’ve had to fill my time with my daily coffee ritual in Guildford (the waitress knows my order by heart now) a few games of Killer Soduko, bread making and a bit of photography.

Me and Yvette have started to grow our own herbs in boxes in the windows, fingers crossed they don’t meet the same fate as most other plants I look after.

Wish there was more green stuff I could do, I am trying to make a point and not get plastic bags when I buy things. To help with this I ordered a Free Tibet carrier bag for all my shopping, this was a week ago and still nothing has arrived. Not sure how this bag will go down with the large number of Chinese students who currently live in Guildford, but hey ho guess if the Tibetans don’t have freedom of speech it’s our duty to speak for them. Would also put a big plea out to my few readers out there not to support this coming Olympics in Beijing, China’s human rights record is one of the worst in the world, freedom of speech is not existent and in many cases they are using the Olympics and perceived (false) threat of Terrorism to crack down on any dissidents. When granted the Olympics they promised to clean up their act and haven’t, the International Olympics committee isn’t doing anything so it comes down to you and me to stand up and say it isn’t right. China is using the Olympics as a coming out exhibition for the world, we should oppose this till they clean up their act. It’s easy for me to boycott the games as I will be away in Europe during it and have no access to a t.v, so its’ simple for me not to watch it. Anyhow enough of me trying to tweak your conscience, better get back to organising my trip to Europe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jon, thanks for the comment, but I bet you had no idea you where posting on the blog of an ex-guildford mountaineering club member? I would tell you who I am, but the owner of my climbing helmet that I still havn't returned and a certain lady are probably still looking for me...

Anonymous said...

Hey huni

Glad you decided on those pics, fond memories of the beautiful french countryside.

Chat soon

Yvette x x