Tuesday 29 January 2008

Letter from Kenya

Some of you may be following the turmoil that is Kenya and which me and Yvette escaped from earlier this year. My good friend Kevo emailed me from Kenya today with his account of what is happening, I found it moving and informative and asked if I could share it with everyone. I hope you enjoy it.

"Greetings hopping all si well with you.

I thanks you so much for your emails and overewhelming support by sending me nice emails checking on me and my family and even some calling. What else can I say rather than saying I am lucky to be your friend.

However, things in kenya are getting from worse to nasty; may be am sure some of you have friends here in kenya and they write to you being optimistic which I would like this email to sound like it, but I am afraid killings is becoming daily occurence in some regions. There is a lot that you are not getting in the media but there is nothing like kenya any more and people are being incited by selfish, barbaric self centered politicians. There is nothing like disputing elections any more but it is something else which I am yet to understand.

In areas where seem to be no law governing people, the so called president has kept quite in the state house and has not even stepped there to show solidarity and calm people as he should show that he is in power. One of our radio station has reported that there are some areas in Rift Valley where only people with sharp tools(panga) can rule and survive.
Things are turning to be tribal and if innocent person finds him/herself in wrong group, the persons life ends there!

Slum areas are poradic and people are moving away from there homes without belongings and camp in police stations and parks. It is sad and hard to tell let alone understand.
Police have been caught in action use brutal methods in some areas under the name of fighting holligans and this has been understood as tribal crack down. Members of Army have been deployed in Naivasha. nakuru and othere areas of Rift valley.

One member of parliament was gunned down early this morning and reports have been coming that property distractions, looting and killings happned in majority of slums in nairobi.

I am in school at the moment but the place is not the same, some of the students have not reported as transport oit side naiorbi have been polorised and thugs have been taking advantage of the situation robbing, rapping and killing people. We are very much hopping that International mediation which is at advanced stage will help calm the situation and gives us our kenya back. At the moment, people can not understand why leaders(selfish politicians) are still talking about power yet people whom they are fighting to lead are perishing.

keep us in your thoughts and prayers and again thank you for your sweet notes.

Lots of love,

kevo "

Kevo with us in Kenya (white shirt 2nd from left of photo)

No comments: